ACOUSTICS AND TECHNOLOGY FOR THEATRE, MUSIC OR FILM
The new bulding complex was completed in Prague’s Holešovice district. It expands the DOX Centre for Contemporary Art exhibition spaces of other fields, such as theatre or cinema.
We have designed and integrated equipment consisting of AV technology and theatre technology in a multifunctional hall with capacity for 450 up to 700 people. Its main aim is to offer the widest range of possible uses. Together with Airship Gulliver, it is our second collaboration with DOX.
What have we had to solve?
- AV technology — hall sound systems for various productions and equipment of the projection room.
- Scenic lighting — lighting console, dimmer units and scenic lights.
- Theatre technology — a main curtain, decorative drapes, a backdrop, mobile rostrum halfpaces, lifting stage platform and lookout bridge.
- Variable room acoustics — ceiling rotating acoustic panels, their sides have tiles with various acoustic properties.
- Elevated mobile auditorium — a telescopic tribune with electric opening and closing controls and a capacity of 232 seats on tilting chairs.
It goes without saying that all the equipment we design and implement including anchoring, cabling and then we train the operating stuff.
How have we achieved the most versatile use of the hall?
- Thanks to the ceiling rotating panels, the hall has variable acoustics which can be adjusted to the type of event.
- We have designed two electroacoustic sound systems, one for cinema and the other for other events (conferences, concerts, etc.)
- The mobile auditorium allows to free up space for non-elevated social events.
- On an atypical stand, there is a 3LCD laser projector Epson EB-L25000U with 25,000 ANSI lumens brightness. The image is projected on a 11 meters wide MW Maxxscreen Giant motorized screen with mini-perforation.
The projector is connected to a media server in order to project from standard distribution network. There is also available a Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray player.
- The entire distribution system and operating of the new Yamaha QL5 digital mixing console is based on the topology of the interconnection of all elements in the system using redundant optical and metalic wiring.
For distribution, we have designed Dante digital distribution protocol using the benefits of classical data cabling. The conversion to the Dante audio distribution protocol is carried out Yahama RiO1608-D stagebox.
The rack is also equipped with a Yamaha MRX7-D digital signal processor, Shure ULDXD4Q quad channel digital wireless receiver and Tascam SS-CDR250N networkable solid-state/CD audio recorder. For recording and editing, there is installed a Dell PowerEdge R7910 rack server.
- The main sound system of the hall is a two-way modular line source system consisting of 6 L-Acoustics KIVA II modules on each side of the hall. Subbass system consist of two high power compact L-Acoustics SB18 subwoofers on each side.
Sound for the cinema arrangement is provided by mobile three-way speakers and subbass speakers which are placed behind the screen. On the side and back walls, there are installed effect speakers.
L-Acoustics LA12X amplifiers for the main sound system and Bose PowerMatch PM8500N and PM8250N for cinema speakers are located inside the rack in the projection room.
- For lighting control, there is installed MA Lighting grandMA2 ultra-light lightning console which allows up to 4,096 parameters and remote control via Wi-Fi.
For the greatest variability of the hall, there are several types of scenic lights available – profile spotlights 750 W, theatee spotlights 1000 W and 2000 W, pinspots 1000 W, LED pinspots, stage theater symmetrical and asymmetrical spotlights 1000 W, movable effect LED spotlights, tracking spotlight and haze machine.
- To create a theatre environment, the stage part of the hall is equipped with electromechanically opened and lifted curtain. Decorative drapes are going to be located between the main curtain and the opened backdrop.
Electromechanical pull unit is going to be located under the ceiling. The pull unit consist of a frame and on it, there is going to be a rope drum mounted in transmission which is powered by electric motor. Electric motor is equipped with silent double safety brake and with manual release levers. Spindle limit switch is going to bude used for micro ride before reaching the end position for monitoring the end and emergency positions.
- In order to have variable acoustics in the hall, the ceiling have 24 rotary panels with three sides – reflective, absorptive and difussive. Panels are anchored to the steel construction by self-tapping screws and their rotation is made by electromechanical drives, one drive for every two panels.
Acoustic panels have the shape of a triangular prism and they are made of steel. On both ends of the steel construction, there is a bearing shaft that is attached to the consoles hanged from the ceiling. The drive is anchored similarly, it consists of a worm gearbox with an electric motor and a pulley which rotates two acoustic panels using belts.